TRL - Creating the future of transport
    

Home > TRL News Hub > Transport News > Latest Transport News > Eurotunnel fire system contract not awarded yet, ‘still on schedule’

Eurotunnel fire system contract not awarded yet, ‘still on schedule’


Eurotunnel fire system contract not awarded yet, ‘still on schedule’

Date: 29/11/2009


The Eurotunnel confirmed this week that the process to contract an installer and operator for a new fire installation system was on track.

A spokesman confirmed the operator was still weighing its options in discussions with various suppliers, according to a New Civil Engineer report.

Contract bid deadlines were due by May 29 of this year, but the company is still in deliberations over the fire system.

The spokesman said the first stage of the project, which involves building a system prototype, is still on track for “as early as possible” in 2010.

A fire in 2008 cost Eurotunnel £54 million in repairs and £180 million in lost revenue while it was being repaired for five months.

Halcrow fire safety engineering director Fathi Tarada said at a conference last week that the fire safety issue for Eurotunnel should be focused more on infrastructure, though human safety is still important.
ADNFCR-2726-ID-19484563-ADNFCR

Media Membership

Existing Members Login

Join the TRL News Hub
As a journalist, sign up to receive news releases as they happen and immediate access to high quality images and footage.





Expert Witness
Specialists in the forensic investigation of road traffic incidents.
Participants Wanted
Help TRL with its research.
Child Safety Centre
An authority on the safety of children in vehicles.
Transport News Hub
The place for independently supplied national and international Transport News.