The virtual world meets the real world
- Reduce risk for fleet managers
- Train and monitor drivers’ performance
- Investigate drivers’ behaviour and attitudes
- Ready to go in under 30 minutes
Our portable HGV driving simulator enables you to:
- Train and assess the performance of HGV drivers in a risk-free environment
- Monitor drivers’ response to in-vehicle technology
- Provide safety training for emergency situations in a controls, safe environment
In addition, our simulators can be run with eye tracking and physiological monitoring to gives an in-depth understanding of driver reactions.
We have a comprehensive volunteer database from which we can call in the ideal sample from over 2,000 drivers to conduct targeted research.
As well as use of the simulators, clients can access a wider range of specialists within TRL for advice in new technologies, traffic management, driver behaviour, safety regulations, road infrastructure and air quality.
For hireThe driving simulators are available for daily or weekly hire, with fully trained operators to demonstrate the simulator at live events. Please contact TRL for details and availability.
For purchaseA driving simulator can be built to order; pricing is dependent on the specification (frame, computer, hardware, screens) and simulation scenarios required. We can also provide training to support in-house use and demonstration. Please contact us to discuss your requirements so that we can prepare a quotation.
Sustaining and developing the UK’s future road network requires deep understanding of customer satisfaction, safety and performance. The driving simulator is a cost-effective testing facility designed to help customers achieve their aims of maximising network performance and customer satisfaction in a safe and controlled environment.
- Pre-build, test and design of mission-critical infrastructure
- Reduce risk by identifying design performance issues
- Engage stakeholders during the planning process
Human factors research
Drivers have to contend with multiple factors inside and outside of the vehicle that can impact their driving performance, and the safety of themselves and other road users. A driving simulator enables innovation-led technology companies, research institutions, marketing agencies and other organisations to investigate driver distraction and impairment factors.
- Examine the attitudes and behaviour of drivers in a safe and controlled environment
- Test and measure drivers’ performance
- Inform legislation, transport policy and technology advancements
- Understand how to encourage behavioural change
The growth of connected and automated systems has a growing role in vehicle operations, and driving simulators enable solutions to be validated in highly realistic scenarios.
- Reduce risk for vehicle manufacturers and technology providers
- Test and develop innovative concepts and technology components
- Improve vehicle performance for a safe, cleaner future
- Minimise driver distraction
Here are some of the studies that the DigiSim has been involved in over the last 50 years:
- Road and junction design
- Smart motorway design
- Speed variability
- Cycle lanes
- Safe site access
- Tunnel layouts
- Zebra crossings
- Autonomous vehicles
- HGV platoons
- Billboard advertising
- Traffic flow
- Road signage
- Infotainment and navigation systems
- Wearable technology and mobile phones
- Vehicle performance perception
- Driver reaction times
- Hazard perception test
- Haulage driver training
- Alcohol and medicinal drugs
- Energy drinks
- Visibility awareness of older drivers
- Younger drivers
For more information about our simulators, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in participating in trials using our simulators, please register here